The telegraph.co.uk posted photos of some of the weird, bizarre, unusual animals in the world. Which animal or creature is the strangest? You decide.
The photos of the weird-looking animals you are about to see are not photoshopped. These animals exist and some of them are considered endangered species.
1. The star-nosed mole‘s snout has 22 fleshy tentacles that are used to identify food by touch. Often found in North America, it lives in wet lowland areas and eats small invertebrates, aquatic insects, worms and mollusks.
[image title=”weird animal_mole_” size=”full” id=”470″ align=”center” ]
2. The Hispaniolan solenodon, a strange looking shrew-like creature with a long snout and specialised teeth capable of delivering venom. Only two solenodon species exist today, one in Haiti and the Dominican Republic, and the other in Cuba.
[image title=”weird animal_shrew” size=”full” id=”471″ align=”center” ]
3. Seapigs live on, or just underneath, the bottom of the ocean and feed on the mud of the seafloor. Scientists haven’t yet worked out how they are such a successful deep-sea creature.
[image title=”seapig” size=”full” id=”472″ align=”center” ]
4. The blobfish is a gelatinous mass with a density slightly less than that of the water it occupies. This helps it maintain buoyancy. Hovering just above the sea-floor, the blobfish gobbles edible matter that floats past it.
[image title=”blobfish” size=”full” id=”473″ align=”center” ]
5. Discovered in 2005 in the South Pacific Ocean, this creature was dubbed the “yeti lobster” or “yeti crab“. It lives at a depth of 2,200 metres on hydrothermal vents along the Pacific-Antarctic.
[image title=”yeti-crab” size=”full” id=”474″ align=”center” ]
6. The white turtle, whose creamy colour is offset by a few hints of pink, features prominently in Chinese culture – a character in Journey to the West is turned into one for his wrongdoings.
[image title=”White-turtle” size=”full” id=”475″ align=”center” ]
7. The long eared jerboa is a nocturnal mouse-like rodent found in the deserts of China and Mongolia. It has a long tail, long legs and extremely large ears. Being such a rare creature, it is in danger of extinction.
[image title=”jerboa” size=”full” id=”476″ align=”center” ]
8. The aye-aye shares a lot in common with the woodpecker – it taps trees to find grubs. When food is located it uses its rodent-like teeth to gnaw a hole, then digs them out with its long middle finger.
[image title=”aye-aye” size=”full” id=”477″ align=”center” ]
9. The saiga‘s unusually over-sized, and flexible, nose warms up the air in winter and filters out the dust in summer.
[image title=”saiga” size=”full” id=”478″ align=”center” ]
10. With their unusual feeding habits and slime-producing capabilities, the hagfish has been dubbed the most “disgusting” of all sea creatures.
[image title=”hagfish” size=”full” id=”479″ align=”center” ]
Thanks to telegraph.co.uk for photos and info.